On the Road World Tour 2018 - USA + Mexico + Cuba

Check here for the latest on Hapkido News, Events, Photo's and Reports
Grandmaster G
Hae Jang Nim

On the Road World Tour 2018 - USA + Mexico + Cuba

Postby Grandmaster G » Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:45 am

2018 USA, Mexico and Cuba road trip.

Flights #19, #20 & #21 Amsterdam – Frankfurt – Newark, USA – Yorktown, USA (Lufthansa Airbus A320, Boeing 747-800 & United Embraer RJ145)

An easy ride over to the airport for check in for my long haul today. A Hiccup with United pulling my last flight in earlier so the connection time will mean it is basically impossible to make it, a quick e-mail to Malcolm (Travel Agent Extraordinaire) and I am booked on a later flight with plenty of connection time. It means from the 6am wakeup in Europe, I will arrive at my destination at Midnight US time, always a good day on the road when the figures look like that. But the day started with some good news when my Upgrade came through on Lufthansa, time to enjoy the First Class experience on the flight from Frankfurt to Newark, as well as access to the First Class Terminal and my first flight on the 747-800 (the newest upgraded 747 version, only flown for passengers by Lufthansa).

Lufthansa Experience #1 – First Class Terminal

Lufthansa Experience #2 – Dining in the Lounge

Lufthansa Experience #3 – Gummy Bears anyone?

Lufthansa Experience #4 – Bar area

Lufthansa Experience #5 – Pick your ride

So, my flight from Amsterdam into Frankfurt runs late, but even if I only have a small time in Frankfurt I am heading to the First-Class Terminal. I check in there and get cleared through the internal lounge security, grab a quick bite to eat in the ala carte restaurant and enjoy the limousine ride out to the 747 800. I grab my seat, and the first thing that hits you is the space, this seat has 4 windows and you get a personal locker near the galley for your bag, etc. The inflight service is similar to what you get at a high-end restaurant and the food was very good, from the caviar service through to a tasty steak, too much food with all the courses. Then you are provided with some Pyjama’s and the staff turn your seat into a bed for a nap on the 8-hour flight. It would make the world tour a huge joy if all the flights could be like this. Still I soak up the experience before landing into America.

Lufthansa Experience #6 – 747 800

Lufthansa Experience #7 – First Class Seat

Lufthansa Experience #8 – Caviar service

Lufthansa Experience #9 - Starters

Lufthansa Experience #10 – Sirloin Steak

Lufthansa Experience #11 – Desert & Cheese

A great flight with Lufthansa, then back to reality with the queue to clear US Immigration and Customs. I then recheck my bags and re clear security, it was lucky the flight was changed as there was no way I would have made the original flight. Into the lounge to enjoy 5 hours of waiting time before my last flight of the day, Newark to Yorktown to meet up with KSN Brian.

Hello New York, USA

I can always tell I am back in the US when I get TSA love letters

KSN Brian is at the airport with some of the local students to welcome me to the US and Shane (Black Belt Candidate) has a Latte in hand, always a good first step! As it is now just on midnight it is time to take the drive back to the hotel and check in before tomorrows training kicks off.

Wolf Martial Arts #1

Wolf Martial Arts #2

The plan this visit is to spend some time in the morning working with KSN Brian on the coloured belt material as he works through the Instructors Course. Then in each afternoon a mini hell week with the 3 local Black Belt candidates along with some of the other local students. It is a good week as working through the curriculum both with KSN Brian as he completes Instructor Signatures as well as the Provisionals as they polish off some material in preparation for their grading. After KSN Brian joined us at the ITS with his students the next group of Provisionals decided to take the Spirit test which is going to be held in Hutchinson at SBN Corey’s Dojang.

https://youtu.be/b5_AlnExjgg

Video tour of KSN Brian’s Dojang

Virginia, USA – Dan Bong Ankle Lock
Challenge Count - 275

On Saturday the open seminar kicks off with both the jacket and certificate presentations, I get a chance to present CGN Ashton and CGN Marissa with their Black Belt certificates. CGN Stephanie & Ben drove the 5+ hours to join the seminar, so that gave us the chance to present her Black Belt jacket as well.

CGN Ashton & CGN Marissa

Saturday Seminar Group

Sunday was a rest day after the busy Hell Week, and I joined KSN Brian and his family for a visit to Busch Gardens to enjoy some shows for the kids as well as trying out the newest roller coaster. After the park we took a walk through the old town part of Williamsburg before grabbing dinner and wrapping up a nice relaxing day.

Busch Gardens #1 – Entrance

Busch Gardens #2 – Eagle

Busch Gardens #3 – Team Wolf

Busch Gardens #4 – Rides R Us

Busch Gardens #5 – Rides R Us

Williamsburg Candy Store – What?

Williamsburg Candy Store – Darrel Lea Liquorice (No Cane Syrup)

Now one thing you quickly realise about flying in the US is that flights are quite commonly pushed back in schedule, have flight numbers changed and just outright cancelled, so the next chapter of flight fun is almost to be expected. During Sunday I get a notification that my next flight has been pushed by 30 mins, that’s ok. Then I get a notification its cancelled and I am rebooked on a later 2 flights (#3), but now they won’t arrive in time to make the seminar. So, I get the flights changed to a much earlier couple (#5). A storm sets in the first leg gets delayed so it won’t make the changed connection, so United moves me to American Airlines, but stuffs up the booking so AA won’t let me board (#6), back to United to get it sorted, which includes a call to Malcolm’s 24-hour contact line in Sydney. Now I am booked on 2 different later AA flights (#8) before I finally get it worked out and board a flight. If you were counting that meant that I was at some time booked on 8 different flights to make this leg of the trip. Breathe….

Didn’t think Knives were allowed on board?

Flight #22 Yorktown - Charlotte, USA (American Airlines Airbus A319)

Just my bags and only 1 other

The flight goes smoothly, even if I did notice a fellow passenger carrying a knife, now that’s not fair, if he gets that, I get a Dan Bong. I arrive and am met by CGN Stephanie at the baggage carousel where it starts up and only 3 bags come out before it stops. Happily, my 2 are first out, I grab and run, I am sure the rest of the full flight will be missing some luggage. SBN Shawn and Ben (CGN Stephanie’s husband and Tang Soo Do 3rd Degree) meet us with a coffee, now the bad day is getting better. As I ended up with some time to spare SBN Shawn had arranged a little surprise for my arrival, we hit the road and headed over to Tindol Ford which is actually the largest supplier of modified Roush Mustangs in America. Not only did I get a chance to check out a large range of different mustangs including a ride in a Stage 3, we got a chance to see a very specially modified Shelby AC Cobra, now that’s a way to suddenly make the day excellent.

Tindol Ford #1 – Mustangs everywhere

Tindol Ford #2 – Roush Stage 3

Tindol Ford #3 – Shelby GT 350

Tindol Ford #4 – Shelby AC Cobra

After some great car time we grabbed lunch, dropped off my bags at CGN Stephanie’s house and headed over to Gastonia where SBN Shawn’s Dojang was located for the nights seminar. On the nights topic list was clothing grabs as well as some miscellaneous street aimed techniques as a lot of the students here are police, TSA or similar. A good night on the mats and some talking with SBN Shawn about possibly joining the IHA family.

McGinnis Academy Seminar Group

https://youtu.be/3Y-AUJHSgaM

Video tour of SBN Shawn’s Dojang

The next day it was on the mats to work with CGN Stephanie and Ben before running one of the recently started Hapkido Classes here. CGN Stephanie has just started a new Hapkido program in her Dojang where she already teaches Tang Soo Do and BJJ. SBN Shawn dropped in to enjoy the class as well, of course pretty much all of this ‘White’ belt class are already ranked in Tang Soo Do.

White Belt day class

https://youtu.be/PZRK-2HbIqk

Video tour of CGN Stephanie’s Dojang

In the afternoon it was time to hit the road to yet another Dojang in the area, this time to visit SBN Joe Needham who is an affiliate member of the IHA, some time to catch up over a coffee before hitting the mats for Bag Fu and S Locks. Everyone worked hard and took turns volunteering to be the crash dummy, even if the amplified S Locks did raise a few eyebrows, well more than a few.

Clemmons Family Martial Arts Group

Another day with time on the mats with CGN Stephanie and Ben. Ben is in the new Hapkido program and even though he has been to a large number of seminars (including ITS Australia) he has never formally ranked in Hapkido until now. That after we hit the road to yet another Dojang, this time with Master Holt in High Point and Triad Martial Arts (another IHA Affiliated Dojang). Tonight, there are a couple of classes, first up an hour for the Black Belts where I cover Lock Flows. Then a mixed group from people with zero training through to Black Belts, so it is time for Angry White Belt techniques and then clinch defence work.

Black Belt Class in Action

Triad Martial Arts Group
I get some free time to work on signatures in the morning and CGN Stephanie leaves me some snack choices, just in case. It seems that Peanut Butter is on the menu with some 8 different choices, for dipping with the Banana or after the Avocado. CGN always has snacks on hand for guests, if you take a look at last years report you might be another reminder of that. Some time on the mats in the afternoon before the drive to CGN’s second smaller dojang in North Charlotte, for a seminar focussing on Arm Bar under and S Locks. I am also happy to welcome SBN Shawn into the IHA family as he has decided to join as a representative member here in North Carolina.

Causby Karate Academy North Charlotte Group

Welcome to the IHA family, SBN Shawn

Saturday rolls around after a busy week both on the mats and the road to/from the local Dojangs. Time for my final seminars, this time at CGN Stephanie’s Dojang and first up the kids for some bully choke defence and arm bars. In the break between the sessions, CGN Stephanie had arranged a cake to celebrate our 25th Anniversary, it was very nice, and made by one of the local students. I also took this chance to present Ma’am with her official Black Belt certificate. Of course, time waits for no one and it was time again for more seminar, this time for the adults where the focus was on weapon defence including both Knife and Bat defence. To wrap up such an excellent week we headed into Charlotte for a great dinner at Chima, a Brazilian all you can eat restaurant, very much like Fogo’s.

Causby Karate Academy Kids

25th Anniversary Celebrations in North Carolina

Causby Karate Academy Adults

Thumbs up to Chima

Now while I have been staying with both Ben and Stephanie I have been slowly converting them to Aussie foods and information. So, we had to watch Crocodile Dundee and they also express ordered some Crumpets from Amazon, of course we maybe ordered too many but still everyone enjoyed a Crumpet filled Sunday morning. Of course, Sunday can have some Hapkido too, so in the afternoon I run a grading for some of the local experience White Belts and welcome our first official IHA Coloured Belts in North Carolina, 3 new Orange Belts and 1 new Yellow Belt with Ben double grading.

Time for a little bit of Crumpet

Congratulations

North Carolina, USA – Knife Defence Elbow Lock
Challenge Count - 300

A nice dinner to wrap up another busy Hapkido filled week on the road, some free time on Monday so of course we hit the mats in the morning for some more training before I get the afternoon free to get the trip report up to date.

Your Kung Foo is stronger than mine

Sundrop is a local Soft Drink found only around here

Back on the road for the relatively quick drive to the airport, an easy check in and into the friendly skies towards Philadelphia.

Australia is everywhere – onboard the AA flight

Flight #23 Charlotte - Philadelphia, USA (American Airlines Boeing 737 800)

Touchdown Philadelphia and I grab the can rental shuttle to pick up my pre ordered medium sized car, something like a Hyundai Elantra. I get there and after doing the paperwork she lets me know that they are out of small medium cars and offers me a family SUV (Like an 8-seater Van), I graciously decline and look wistfully at the Mustang and BMW 430 that are there. Not those she exclaims and walks off to see what they have, a moment later she drives out of the wash bay area with a Dodge Charger, will this do? Hell yes, now that’s an upgrade from a Elantra. I get some free time over the next couple of days as some seminar plans changed, so a good chance to get the Black Belt and Instructor Signatures up to date, some 1200 of them. They also grow exponentially during the world tour as Black Belts cram techniques before testing and Instructors try to finish a level before I arrive. If only they would spread them out over time, I can only hope.

Hyundai Elantra or this?

Old School Barber - Outside

Old School Barber - Inside

So, with some time to spare, I got to enjoy a few good meals, grabbed an old school shave, visiting the King of Prussia (Huge Shopping Area), hit the premium outlets, catch a movie and of course still added a seminar in there. I got another chance to visit with Master Wagner and his students in Bensalem where I taught Bag Fu followed by Dan Bong, I think everyone was amazed by the damage the humble shopping back can inflict. Grandmaster Godwin also dropped in for a visit and I made plans to catch up with him over lunch while I was here.

Bensalem, PA Group

A Moments pause as Starbucks got my name right

Pennsylvania, USA – Dan Bong Ankle Compression
Challenge Count - 325

I headed into Philadelphia to meet up with Grandmaster Godwin and Edward, who is a good friend of Dojunim, he also looks after embroidery and other items for him. We had a Korean lunch and talked a little of Sin Moo history, it was good to catch up with GM Godwin and meet Edward. After lunch GM Godwin and I hit the city for a wander around South Street and eventually grabbing dinner at a German Restaurant there.

Korean Lunch

A queue for Philly Cheese Steak

My last day in Philadelphia and I head into town to have lunch with Dr Fabi (Sin Moo Grandmaster) at Iron Chef Morimoto’s restaurant before catching up with Edward again before dinner at Fogo’s (Brazilian Meat Fest) with Dr Fabi, GM Godwin, GM Janisse and Master Wagner. The next morning and I am off to the airport to return my car and grab 2 flights on my way to Minneapolis.

Philadelphia Airport is Dog Friendly

Flight #24 & #25 Philadelphia – Chicago - Minneapolis, USA (United Airlines Airbus A319)

An easy couple of flights and I am met at the airport by SBN Corey and KJN Dave who has flown in to join the Hell Week fun. One of the fun parts of visiting SBN Corey’s is that over the year I get mail sent here for things that won’t ship external to the US, so when I arrive it is a little bit like Christmas, sometimes I have even forgotten I ordered something and it’s a surprise. Mostly Hapkido books, and other items for the Hapkido library.

Interesting packing solution

Day #1 in Hutch is the Sun Bae (Red Belts and higher) and I covered some advanced material as we working through TLC (Joint Lock pain enhancement) and TLC+, I also cover the 5 phases of weight movement and sequential alignment. It is a good session working on senior material before the coloured belts wrap up. Then we hold the Black Belt Physical Challenge and Technical Review (Both are part of the senior testing process). During this visit CGN Kyle is testing for 2nd Degree while we will have 5 candidates for the Spirit Test.

Sun Bae team

https://youtu.be/_YFZIkjT2eg

Video tour of SBN Corey’s Dojang

SBN Corey locks the Bigfoot while I check out the Eagle

The Hell Week in Hutch is growing into the place to catch up with KJN Dave, CGN Stephanie, KSN Tony, KSN Brian all visiting from out of town during the week. I look forward to how the first NATS (North American Training Seminar) goes here in September. Day #2 in Hutch included sessions on How to Kick (Kicking mechanics), 25 Non-curriculum kicks, a review of Releases, Hand Attacks, Arm Bar Over and Dan Bong. Before a night class for the kids where we actually worked on Cane techniques.

Working hard on the mats

Kids group

Its America, so a 25th Anniversary Cookie

Hutchinson, USA – Dan Bong Cord Wrist Lock
Challenge Count - 350

Day #3 in Hutch and it was time for How to Strike (Striking tools), 25 Non-curriculum strikes (including Dragon Prawn!), a review of S Lock, V Lock, Arm Bar Under, Arresting and Choke Defence. I also had the chance to give some recognition with CGN Kyle promoting to KSN 2nd Degree, BSBN Sherri earning her Senior Instructor Certification and the presentation of 2 1st Degree certificates to CGN Rick and CGN Stephanie.

Congratulations KSN Kyle

Good work Senior Instructor Sherri

Officially certified

Apparently Turkeys walking the streets here is normal

Day #4 in Hutch and first topic is the ABC of locking before a couple of bonus topics with Rolling Hands and 25 Pressure Points and how to use them. You might see a trend here with the 25 sets of different techniques as part of the 25th IHA Anniversary celebrations. In the after it is time for the Black Belt Candidates to prepare the Dojang for the Spirit test this evening. Due to space and Black Belt assistance numbers we are splitting the testing into 2 groups, the first group of 3 will start and once they are finished the second group of 2 will then test with results being given to all at the end. It is the first time doing this but it works smoothly with both tests running exactly the same time. I am proud to welcome 5 new Kwan Nyom 1st Degree Black Belts, CGN’s Shane, Nicky, Marshall (from Virginia) and CGN’s Kent and Kris (from Hutch).

Before the Test (Team MVP – Minnesota Virginia Provisionals)

Congratulations new Black Belts

Cake makes it official

Day #4 in Hutch and the sore but smiling new Black Belts join us on the mats for the first session which is BMT (Throwing enhancements), then Cavemen locking, Sword Basics, Sword Forms and to wrap up an overview of Tanjun breathing, Ki Power and Healing. Another excellent Hell Week in Hutchinson to celebrate our 25th Anniversary with lots of students working hard, a good range of visiting seniors and lots of very positive growth.

Hell Week Survivors

Australian Style?

After we wrap things up, Bradford one of the local red belts offers me a drive of his Porsche Macan (3.0L 6 twin turbo), so we hit the road to see how the German machine does, it is a nippy well-built car and hands well. These are a lot more affordable here than in Australia.

Porsche – Riding in style

Not Porsche

As is now tradition, we leave SBN Corey’s Dojang and head into Minneapolis for lunch at Fogo de Chao and to check into a hotel near the airport. We always do a wander through Mall of America as part of the day and SBN shows us where he got a 3D stature made, they even display a copy of it in their shop front.

The Fogo Salad Bar

Starbucks Fun

Inside the Mall of America

SBN Poses with Mini SBN

Flight #26 Minneapolis - Houston (United Airlines Embraer 175)

Another easy flight into Houston where I pick up my rental, this time they actually give me the Hyundai (was still hoping for an upgrade). It drives well and I hit the roads to my hotel to check in, I have some free time to get this report up to date as well as stay on top of the Video Signatures before a class with Master Sharpe’s Black Belts. Master Sharpe is adding Hapkido to the Black Belt requirements in his Dojang, so I am here to expose them to some Kwan Nyom ideas. I always enjoy visiting Houston, easy to get around (with a car), some nice restaurants, with options for shopping and movies. I even get a chance to see one of the latest movies in my own theatre.

Tang Soo Do Black Belt Class

Private Screening

The Saturday seminar rolls around and I am back on the mats with a mixed group, I work through the idea of how Basic White Belt Concepts can build into senior belt locks, and then move onto Dan Bong. Everyone loves the pain stick and enjoys sharing the techniques. A nice sushi lunch with the group afterwards and that wraps up my visit to Texas. Master Sharpe is planning on visiting us at the NATS this year and hopefully he can twist the arm of a couple of his students to come along as well.

Houston Seminar Group

Houston, USA – Dan Bong Compression
Challenge Count - 375

Nathan McDonald
Chief Instructor

Re: On the Road World Tour 2018 - USA + Mexico + Cuba

Postby Nathan McDonald » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:13 am

Bacon Soda.....Oh dear....

Kelvin Zeini

Postby Kelvin Zeini » Tue May 01, 2018 1:44 pm

Thank you for sharing sir. Very exciting rendezvous and scenery!

Matt Hall

Postby Matt Hall » Fri May 04, 2018 10:22 am

Hi Sir,

I like seeing the different dojangs, Sir Brian Wolf Martial Arts looked very nice.
Those sodas, I would have to try at least one of the Bacon soda or Buffalo Wing Sodas.
As for the Mustangs if you don't know already they will be racing in Australia from next in year in the Supercars category!

Matt

Chris Berrios

Postby Chris Berrios » Sun May 06, 2018 5:49 pm

Sir,

The minute the challenger arrives on our shores l'll be knocking on the dealers door, absolutely love the retro styling. How does an airline manage too cook or reheat a good steak? How was it?

Thanks

Chris

Grandmaster G
Hae Jang Nim

Postby Grandmaster G » Sat May 12, 2018 2:17 am

@Chris

Not sure the Mechanics of steak cooking but it was surprisingly decent considering it was on a plane.

Driving the Challenger was nothing special, Mustang first in my opinion. ;)

Regards

GM G

Luke Dilonardo

Postby Luke Dilonardo » Tue May 15, 2018 10:07 pm

Hi Sir, Great to see some familiar faces in America!
Thank you for uploading the dojang videos, I love to look at how other schools are set up, its very interesting to me!
A lot of nice cars hahaha.

Return to “News & Events”