On the Road ETS2 + NATS Seminar Tour

Check here for the latest on Hapkido News, Events, Photo's and Reports
Grandmaster G
Hae Jang Nim

On the Road ETS2 + NATS Seminar Tour

Postby Grandmaster G » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:06 pm

European Training Seminar & North American Training Seminar World Tour

“ The world is a book and those who do not travel only read one page.”

This will be the first time I have taken 2 World Tours in a single year. Even though this one is more of a point to point World Tour with the focus on the ETS and NATS. Still on the list of countries I will be travelling through will include Thailand, Germany, Finland, Czech Republic (formerly Czechoslovakia), Russia and America. So, it is a short 6 country round the world trip, if a trip around the world can ever be called that. The trip starts with my regular Thai Airways flight from Sydney to Bangkok with a couple of day break before the longer haul into Europe.

Flight #1 - Sydney to Bangkok on the venerable Thai Airways Boeing 747-400

There is always time to appreciate how beautiful Sydney is as you take flight.

Touchdown Thailand, and I grab my arranged ride to the hotel. Bangkok is a wonderful city on many levels, but the traffic is simply horrendous. The 30 to 40-minute drive from the airport takes over 2 hours. This is not just due to the number of cars, but in my opinion the traffic light sequencing is simply wrong. Still I check in at my normal hotel and look forward to a couple of days which will include some excellent meals, lots of foot massages and some downtime.

Red lights are flexible here, definitely for motorbikes, yes that is red and a major intersection

Lots more food pictures will be added to Facebook during the trip for those travelling along for the cuisine

Filet Mignon at one of my favourite haunts, Chef Bar, a must visit in Bangkok for Pies, Sausage Rolls and Steak

As always, a good stop in Thailand and I am back into the air with Lufthansa for my flight into Germany and then onwards to Finland. The flight goes well and I clear customs (well they call it that, but it is incredibly light), find a Star Alliance lounge and get breakfast plus a shower before my next flight.

I understand the idea of trying to be comfortable when you travel, but….

The new Lufthansa logo next to the old one, hmm

Flight #2 & #3 - Bangkok to Frankfurt on the Lufthansa Airbus 340-300 and Frankfurt to Helsinki on the Lufthansa Airbus A320-200

A short hop into Helsinki, again with Lufthansa, where I am met at the airport by SBN Kim. As I walk out to meet him we bump into Team Croatia who had taken over a little coffee stand, then one of Team Netherlands comes over, you know the ETS is in town now. It quickly becomes the theme of this visit, bumping into IHA members all over the place, Helsinki actually isn’t that big.

This is not how you expect Finland to look, at least compared to when I normally visit

The Mustang seems to be turning into a true World Car

SBN Kim drops me at my regular haunt the Hotelli Finn and I head out to stretch my legs and grab a coffee before dinner tonight with the Finnish Federation members to go over the ETS plans. Dinner is at arguably one of the best restaurants in Helsinki (Olo) and I get a chance to enjoy an excellent meal with SBN Kim, SBN Markus and Daniela.

Did you want some Truffle with that?

Petit Fours

The next day I head out to buy a few things from the stationary store, and bump into Team Netherlands. The city is now filled with IHA members from 8 different countries all ready for an excellent weekend of training and camaraderie. In the afternoon it is time to meet up at the Central Train station to catch the official ETS Coaches out to the training venue. Due to the registrations being well over 100 we are renting a sport hall in Jarvenpaa for the weekend, you might recognise the venue as we have had seminars there over the many years I have been travelling here.

Master Tapio kicks off the ETS

The first evening features Master Tapio on the mats showing some interesting variations on Ground Defence. Due to the large number of participants and the unseasonably hotter weather in Finland, everyone is quickly warmed up and working hard. It is also the first chance for each of the country groups to meet each other. We have students on the mats from Finland, Norway, Spain, Poland, Croatia, Sweden, The Netherlands, Romania and the token Aussie.

The ETS Tram

After the training we grab the bus back into the centre where we are met by the official ETS Tram for a night lap of the city to see some sights. One of our local Black Belts is also our Tram Driver, so we all encourage KSN Eija to set a new lap record. Needless to say, we kept it safe, speed was limited to 50 kmh, even if the tram could break 60.

Are we really in Finland?

The next morning, we grab the bus back out for the main day on the mats, everyone remarks how nice the weather is and the temp sits around 20, seriously are we in Finland? Today I am up first and I cover some different striking tools to cover distance and get hold of your opponent. Including the first time I have shared some of my thoughts on grazing punching into Elbow strikes.

SBN Pauli enjoying the session

A full mats hard at work

A brief break for lunch, time to grab the group picture and then back into the train with a special session with SBN Janne. He has been a long-term member of the Finnish Police, including teaching Defensive tactics at the academy and now working on the Special Protection detail. The afternoon session starts with a brief Demonstration of cutting from Shihan Anthony as well as an opportunity for many of the attending Senior belts to have a cut as well. Shihan is impressed with how well the group follow directions and everyone successfully makes a cut of some sort. We then split the group into 2 sessions, 2nd Degree and higher get a sword session with Shihan and the other students work with Master Tapio.

ETS Group Picture

Shihan makes it look easy

The Split session in action.

The afternoon wraps up with some Multiple grabs to make sure everyone leaves with a sweat and a smile. We grab the bus and this time we are off to the restaurant where we will be celebrating the ETS as well as some special recognition and of course announcing the host of ETS3. Today was a good day, as all the different IHA teams had split up and were working with all different members from all over Europe. It truly was a good family day with everyone enjoying each training with each other.

The 4 main session instructors

The Restaurant was located in a very nice garden and with the excellent weather there was a chance to mingle outside as well as inside. Of course, being Finland there was a Sauna and many of the attendee’s grabbed the chance to enjoy a visit before dinner. The meal was a buffet style and each option were quite good with lots of flavour and choice. SBN Kim as the head of the federation took on the MC role and made sure to thank all those instrumental in making the ETS such a success, special note to Daniela for being the major event organiser, I even asked if she would help with the next ITS. There was a presentation to go along with our 25th Anniversary, thank you Team Finland, and then Shihan Anthony surprised me with a very special gift. He is getting a custom-made sword for me, which should be ready in 3-4 months, in the meantime he presented me with a placeholder to swing around.

Congratulations new Head Instructors

I then had the chance to recognise our 5 new Head Instructors, KJN Ron (Netherlands) and 4 SBNs from Finland, SBN Markus, SBN Teemu, SBN Pauli and SBN Daniel. Sadly only 2 were present to collect their certificates but still a good effort in earning this level. I also had the pleasure of announcing that IHA Poland and Warsaw would be our next ETS destination! Lock in Warsaw for September 2020.

ETS3 – Warsaw, Poland

The next day is Roulette where each of the senior guest instructors gets a chance to jump on the mats and teach a couple of their favourites. This gives another 13 instructors a chance to enjoy being part of the action and highlights even more how this weekend has become a truly family training event. So many new friends made, so many new connections and lots of talk on future training opportunities, I hope you all look towards the ITS in Spain next year. Back into the city for a free afternoon where I grab lunch with Shihan Anthony and bump into the Norwegians. It has been an amazing weekend and I can’t wait to see how the Kwan Nyom family develops in Europe.

Flight #4 & #5 – Helsinki to Prague via Frankfurt both on the Lufthansa, with an Airbus 320-200 and Airbus A321-100

Monday rolls around and SBN Kim drops me at the airport for my 2 flights on the way to my first visit to the Czech Republic (formerly Czechoslovakia, now spilt into 2 countries). The flights go well, and I check into my hotel, of course I grab a quick couple of pictures near the hotel before a good night’s sleep. Over the days in Prague I get a chance to see the beautiful city and enjoy some excellent meals, pictures for food will be uploaded to Facebook over time. Enjoy some of the photos I grabbed from Prague.

Prague @ Night #1

Prague @ Day #1

Prague @ Day #2

Prague @ Day #3

Prague @ Day #4

Prague @ Day #5 – The old way to fine buildings was that they all had a unique name, this was the Green Lobster.

Prague @ Day #6

Prague @ Day #7

Prague @ Day #8

Prague @ Day #9 – Ancient Dojang?

Prague @ Day #10 – Really?

Prague @ Day #11 – They take noise seriously around here

Prague @ Day #12

Prague @ Day #13

Prague @ Day #14 – Some Churches are simply for Religion

Prague @ Day #15 – Some a little more bling

Prague @ Night #2

Prague @ Night #3

Prague @ Day #16 – A new meaning to flogging a dead horse

Flight #6 – Prague to Saint Petersburg on Czech Airlines, Airbus A319-100

Back in the air and my first time flying Czech Airlines, all goes smoothly, I do notice however that the English voice over for the inflight video was done by an Aussie.

G’Day Mate, buckle in!

Touchdown Russia and my first visit to what will be country number 56 on my travels. A smooth entry to Saint Petersburg, no forms to fill in, just have your passport with Visa in hand. I am met by Master Aleksandr (KHF 5th Degree) and we head to my hotel with CGN Kirill doing the driving and translating. Master Aleksandr lets me know that they have arranged for us all to go to a Russian Cultural event in the evening, the Ice Hockey. Saint Petersburg are playing their arch rivals Moscow and we will be joining 11,000+ Russians for the game.

Saint Petersburg #1 – Ice Hockey

It is always an experience to see sport in a foreign country, the Ice Hockey was entertaining and the local team won so that made it even more enjoyable. They actually had the small contingent of Moscow fans in a special section that had its own security on hand to keep things civil, all went smoothly. After the match we headed off to a local pub, apparently, it’s the after-game ritual. And to wrap up an interesting night the taxi back to the hotel had an iPad playing YouTube videos and of course AC/DC were on.

Saint Petersburg #2 – AC/DC Taxi

Saint Petersburg #3 – Saint Isaac’s Cathedral (nearby my hotel)

I picked a smaller budget type hotel with great reviews, but even after saying that the building is ancient and the entire place has an amazing character from the years.

Saint Petersburg #4 – My hotel Breakfast Area

Saint Petersburg #5 – The hotel was ready with some medieval weaponry

The next day I met up with Team Russia to do some sightseeing, the plan was to hit the streets around my hotel to see most of the major sights, then head out to Master Aleksandr’s Dojang for some training, that sounded like a good day on the road to me. So yet again, sit back and enjoy some photos from the road.

Saint Petersburg #6

Saint Petersburg #7

Saint Petersburg #8

Saint Petersburg #9

Saint Petersburg #10

Saint Petersburg #11 – Insert bad pun here: “Anyone seen my Atlas?”

Saint Petersburg #12

Saint Petersburg #13

Saint Petersburg #14 – Hmm, a gift shop inside the Church

Saint Petersburg #15 – You can only openly carry swords in Texas, this was an umbrella.

After the sight seeing we headed to the Dojang which was a sports hall hired by Master Aleksandr, like most of Europe, full-time Dojangs are rarer when compared to the US and Australia. I was asked to start with basics so I covered Circle Releases, explained how they built into others, went into Hand Attacks (always an eye opener) and then wrapped up with S-Lock to show them how the concept worked everywhere including strikes and kicks. The local team worked hard and seemed to enjoy the different approach to Hapkido. After the class we headed off for a group dinner where the dish of the night was Shashlik or BBQ Meats on a stick, hard to go wrong with that.

Saint Petersburg #16 – Russian Group

Saint Petersburg #17

Saint Petersburg #18

There is a problem with Saint Petersburg, too many things to see, literally every street has interesting buildings or designs and if you like architecture you would be stuck here for weeks. I will be here for a couple of more days, so a chance to relax, see more of the city and a planned visit to the world-famous Hermitage Museum are on the plans.

Saint Petersburg #19 – No Board Breaks Allowed

Saint Petersburg #20 – A Sputnik, want to go into space in this?

Saint Petersburg #21

Saint Petersburg #22 – Very Russian Helicopter Tour

Saint Petersburg #23

Saint Petersburg #24 – Jamie gets his own sign?

Saint Petersburg #25

Saint Petersburg #26

Saint Petersburg #27

Saint Petersburg #28

Saint Petersburg #29 – Hello Pickpockets!

The next day I caught up with Master Aleksandr and we agreed that his organisation and the IHA would work together in the future, as a nice gesture he prepared a letter which we signed to acknowledge our future plans. Off to celebrate over lunch at a nearby Korean restaurant before visiting Master Aleksandr’s Dojang that evening where I got to add a few ideas to the techniques that they were working on. That wraps up the Hapkido part of this visit and tomorrow I hit the Hermitage.

The EAAHF & the IHA working together

The Hermitage #1 – Hello Ancient Weaponry

The Hermitage #2

The Hermitage #3

The Hermitage #4

The Hermitage #5

The Hermitage #6 – Even the steps up are impressive

The Hermitage #7 – The rooms are just as amazing as some exhibits

The Hermitage #8

The Hermitage #9

The Hermitage #10

The Hermitage #11

The Hermitage #12

The Hermitage #13

The Hermitage #14

The Hermitage #15 – Even the floor gets in on the act

The Hermitage #16

The Hermitage #17

The Hermitage #18

The Hermitage #19

The Hermitage #20

The Hermitage #21 - Outside

Saint Petersburg #30 – With a name like that I had to try it!

So, a visit to the Hermitage is like visiting the Louvre in France, there is no way to see it all on one visit, the museum is too sprawling with too may choices of direction to take. Add to the complexity that are times you are going against the stream when large Chinese (or other) tour groups are heading in a direction. Of course, if your focus is one area of art then it becomes easier, I took the combat approach and covered as much ground as possible. It leaves new things to see on possible future visits. For those who love Museums/Art/etc, this has to be on the Must See list.

Flight #7 – Saint Petersburg to Moscow on Aeroflot, Airbus A319-100

Check in went fine, just extra security through out the process. Firstly you scan all bags entering the terminal, then before doing the actual security scan your passport and boarding pass are actually scanned, not just looked at. Then the actual security check. Still it went smoothly and I headed for the lounge where I got to try some Crab Flavoured chips, nothing special there, but unique. It was then time for my first flight on a Russian Airline, today flying with Rossiya which is a member of the Aeroflot group. An easy flight, even the inflight food was ok and an amazing sunset as we touched down into Moscow. I grabbed my bags, met the pre booked car and headed to my hotel, tomorrow a day of sightseeing.

Yet another style of Scanner, this one has your standing on a conveyor belt

First time trying Crab flavoured chips

Air Rossiya – Part of the Aeroflot group

An amazing sunset as we came into Moscow

The new Mercedes with a totally digital dash display

Moscow #1 – Amazing features in the Metro

Moscow #2 – The Bolshoi

Moscow #3 – FSB (Formerly KGB) Headquarters

Moscow #4 – Shopping Centre

Moscow #5 – Markets

Moscow #6 – Markets

Moscow #7 – Markets

Moscow #8 – Caviar anyone?

Moscow #9 – Some Vodka to match the Caviar

Moscow #10 – Vodka Russian style

Moscow #11

Moscow #12

Moscow #13

Moscow #14 – Red Square

Moscow #15 – Entering the Kremlin

Moscow #16 – Inside the Kremlin, Little Canons

Moscow #16 – Inside the Kremlin, Big Canon

Moscow #17 – Largest Bell in the World

Moscow #18 – Largest Bell in the World Oops

Moscow #19 – Inside the Kremlin

Moscow #20 – Inside the Kremlin

*Side Note* Russian Facts – Population 144 Million, the largest country by land mass, city with the most Billionaires in the world (Moscow @ 84), 10 million more ladies than men in the population, 2nd largest Oil producer in the world, the Metro trains run every 90sec to make it fastest schedule in the world, 74% of people live in Urban areas, it has borders with 14 countries, Russian is one of the top 5 languages spoken, they prefer to drink tea over coffee and the country has 9 time zones.

Moscow @ Night #1

Moscow @ Night #2 – The Bolshoi under lights

Moscow @ Night #3 – Red Square

Moscow @ Night #4 – Red Square

Moscow @ Night #5

Moscow @ Night #6 – A view from the highest Restaurant in Europe

Moscow @ Night #7 – A view from the highest Restaurant in Europe

Moscow @ Night #8 – A view from the highest Restaurant in Europe

Moscow @ Night #9 – Historical, yes. But now a Radisson Hotel.

It was also a good first visit to Moscow, whilst it was definitely different to Saint Petersburg, it was still a great city to visit. There was a lot to see, the food I had was good, with a couple of excellent restaurants (Twins Garden, White Rabbit), the people overall friendly. On the lesser side, language can be a challenge, English is not commonly spoken but I found most people would work with you through Google Translate, and of course reading signs was a challenge due to their alphabet. I also caught up with another Hapkido Black Belt who is one of Master Alexandr’s students so there was some Hapkido in there and plans are underway to return to Russia next year. I think a big part of the successful visit to Russia comes on some excellent weather, it really does bring out the best in people, it would be far less enjoyable at -20 both in climate and how it effects the population. So, in general Russia is nothing like what you think, it is very similar to other parts of Europe and in some ways more so than other places I have visited, possibly due to more money floating around here, even if the masses aren’t still getting a lot of it, you can see it changing things. An early morning drive to the airport for the security tango, the Russians take their security seriously with lots of checks, followed by attitude from the check in lady. Lufthansa connected my bookings so it checked me in for my 2 flights even though I was breaking the trip in Germany. So that meant the check in lady demanded to see my US ESTA which was irrelevant as I was connecting through Germany and stopping there overnight. I eventually got the point across and ensured that they only checked my bag through to Frankfurt. An almost smooth flight, some bumps getting out of Russia, but ok after that. Touchdown Germany for the night before the longer haul across the Atlantic, I had to book a car and ended up with an Audi RS3, let’s just say the driver was proud of his 400hp and showed me how fast it would go, the picture is 242kmh, but we actually hit 249 before traffic and that picture is too blurry.

You have got love it when your bag is the only one on the belt

Fast Taxi

Yes, Fast Taxi, love the Autobahns

An overnight in Frankfurt, staying at an airport hotel, before grabbing my next flight into the US, 2 flights today to get across to Minnesota for the NATS. I am looking forward to enjoying my second flight on the newest version of the Queen of the sky, the Boeing 747. As much as they are being phased out by most airlines, Lufthansa flies the newest one the 747-8i which has elements from the 787 Dreamliner with carbon fibre wings, new jets, etc.

Flight #9 – Frankfurt to Chicago with Lufthansa on the newest iteration of the Boeing 747 the dash 8i

Kelvin Zeini

Re: On the Road ETS2 + NATS Seminar Tour

Postby Kelvin Zeini » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:42 am

The trip looking fantastic already sir. Looking forward hearing more about it.
Thank you GM for sharing.

Grandmaster G
Hae Jang Nim

Postby Grandmaster G » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:52 pm

Updated: 16 Sept 2018.

Regards

GM G

Kelvin Zeini

Postby Kelvin Zeini » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:33 am

Amazing photos GM. We don't see much of these amazing monuments unless Hollywood makes action movies around these places unfortunately!
I love the history and the historical building, so much details and craftsmanship.
Thank you sir for sharing, the hotel breakfast area is unreal I hope sir enjoyed good food there!

Grandmaster G
Hae Jang Nim

Postby Grandmaster G » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:45 pm

Kelvin, there is definitely a wealth of history here, too much to see on a short stop. One thing we really don't have in Australia, history. The breakfast is ok for the level of Restaurant.

Regards

GM G

Kelvin Zeini

Postby Kelvin Zeini » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:13 am

Pretty amazing GM, I had to look it up sir and I found that the church took 24 years to build and costed 4.5 million rubles!

We are looking forward reading more about Hapkido in Russia and seeing more awesome scenery sir.

Thank you GM

Chris Berrios

Postby Chris Berrios » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:42 am

Fantastic photos Sir of two beautiful cities. The decibel meter in the city I found quite interesting, do you know what the background behind that is? Looking forward more updates.

Thank you
Chris

Katherine Cai

Postby Katherine Cai » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:15 pm

Hi GMG,

The trip looks amazing! I love reading and seeing all the quirky things that make these cities unique.
On the last pick pocketing sign, I remember hearing how people often get pickpocketed around pickpocketing signs because when you see those signs you instinctively reach for your valuables to check if they’re there. This lets those sneaky thieves know where your valuables are. Hopefully nothing bad will happen on your trip!

Hope the rest of the trip goes well and looking forward to seeing you back on our mats in a few weeks. :)

Kind Regards
Katherine

Luke Dilonardo

Postby Luke Dilonardo » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:52 pm

Hello Sir,

The ETS lookes very successful! Glad to see lots of European Hapkidoists enjoying themselves! I would love to see Shihan's sword skills in person, hopefully in the future.
Glad to see the Russian's enjoying your approach to Hapkido, and Russia looks amazing! Those photos are truly remarkable!

Thank you for updating! I look forward to reading all about the NATS!

Matt Hall

Postby Matt Hall » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:01 am

Hi Sir,

Great photos as always. Wow there is some money in churches, I think 'Isbeef' Australia could have a new member. We could build a Giant Beefeater BBQ to pray to. I'm pleasantly surprised about Russia it looks awesome.

Matt

Grandmaster G
Hae Jang Nim

Postby Grandmaster G » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:50 am

@ Chris - The Decibel meter was a passive way the local area was enforcing keeping noise limited, its a richer area.

@ Katherine - True it is a common mistake to check your valuables around a pickpocket warning sign or in crowded tourist areas (in those countries that feature pickpockets of course)

Russia has been an eye opener.

Updated 22 September 2018.

Regards

GM G

Nathan McDonald
Chief Instructor

Postby Nathan McDonald » Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:45 am

Russia looks awesome Sir. On my bucket list for a long time....

Mira Korhonen

Postby Mira Korhonen » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:16 am

Great report GMG. Great to see ETS went well, familiar training venue :) Russia looks very cool, always wanted to visit the Heremitage and based on the pictures I would never leave once in. So much to see!

What was the story of the biggest bell in the world that was in the Kremlin?
Mira

"That which does not kill me, had better run pretty damn fast."

Chris Berrios

Postby Chris Berrios » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:15 am

Thank you for the update Sir,

Sir, whats the history of that massive bell? I am also always interested in the sizes of suits of armour, I find it intriguing how humans have grown over the centuries. Did you find them smaller than others you have seen on previous trips?

Regards

Chris

Jehad Batta

Postby Jehad Batta » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:39 am

Great imagery and amazing architecture shots GM G. Looking forward to the next steps on the EAAHF & the IHA working together.

Many thanks

Return to “News & Events”